Monday, May 4, 2009

The Reality of Dreams

Three months ago I wrote my first blog. To most people, its no big deal but to me it was. You see, I’ve had a desire to write for a long time but never could seem to begin. Believing that God planted that desire in my heart, I now understand that God’s timing is not the same as ours. A desire or dream may be given long before it actually begins. In God’s planning there is training and equipping that needs to happen before His child is ready. He is the one who orchestrates the steps needed to get to the starting line. I’m so glad that God held off on my beginning as a writer until I knew Him well. Now I can use my writing to glorify Him and not myself.

I have always loved books, particularly childrens books. As a child I spent many hours in the town library. Reading gave my mind a place to go to and it sparked my imagination. This is where my interest in writing first took root. As I matured, the small flame in my heart was reduced to embers when I realized that I was not a stellar English student. Ever since then I have felt unqualified to be a writer. Yes, I had ideas but if I was unable to convey them properly then it didn’t matter. Not until my daughter was born did my love of books and writing rekindle. My daughter is now 18. It took God’s behind the scenes planning and His perfect timing to get me to the point of hitting the "publish post" button for the first time.

Feeling unqualified to do something for God has only brought me closer to Him. This writing experience has caused me to trust Him with every bit of it. Each time I sit to write I have to believe that He will give me the topic that someone needs to ‘hear.’ I also have to trust that despite my writing ability, the reader will understand what God is trying to tell them. Do I now think I am a polished writer? No way. Am I confident that what I say will make sense to others? No. But what I am confident in, is God! He is the One who gives me the ideas to write about and the heart to encourage others.

Here are a few things I’ve learned thus far.....

1. God is the author, I am only the conduit.
2. God can use what I earnestly put forth.
3. Good writing takes a lot of revision. Being a recovering perfectionist, I sometimes don’t want to do the work for fear it will never be good enough anyway. That is when I need to remember #2.
4. I should not compare my writing with another. This takes my focus off what I am called to do.

Waiting on God to get our dream started is also a matter of trust. Had my own dream started sooner then I would not have had the life experiences yet that God uses in my blogs today. In the Old Testament Joseph had a dream of his 11 brothers bowing down to him. The dream did became a reality, but not until many years later. If you recall Joseph’s story, his life was full of ups and downs that eventually led him to his role of second in command of Egypt. Looking at his circumstances, there were many times when Joseph may have thought the dream would never come true. In the same way, our dreams don’t often start right away either. God is always at work though, preparing for the dream to become a reality. If you are waiting on a God given dream, don’t despair in the waiting. God is at work and His timing is perfect. If you have begun living the dream, keep focused on God’s plan in it. In both cases, believe in God’s ability not your own!

Be blessed,
Jeanine Black
© 2009

No comments: