Monday, April 20, 2009

Celebrity or Servant?

A recent airing of ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ really surprised me. Having watched the show before, I wasn’t surprised by the usual antics and inappropriate conduct of these superstar contestants. What caught me off guard was something I hadn’t expected to see....humility.

The project was to serve as maids, bellmen, room service, and concierge for guests in five rooms at a swanky New York City hotel. They were expected to replicate the high standards set by the hotel, while catering to the whims of their guests. Being short-staffed and unacquainted with this type of work, the teams were set up for potential disaster. What surprised me though, was how some of these celebrities rose, or should I say lowered, themselves to the challenge! While some of the stars complained about having to clean toilets, Herschel Walker, a Heisman Trophy winning football player, did so without complaint. He had a job to do and he did it willingly.

Joan Rivers, who functioned as concierge, never once used her notable status to gain favor. She truly enjoyed the challenge of meeting the needs of her guests. When a well-known actor checked in, she honored him with respect, and did everything possible to make his stay special. Of course, being only a game, the goal for the teams was to please the hotel management and Donald Trump. In doing so they would receive money for their favorite charity.

So I wondered, how do I handle unpleasant tasks? What is my motivation for doing them without complaining? Although the Bible states that crowns will be given in heaven to those who serve God well, that is not what motivates me. I JUST SIMPLY WANT TO PLEASE THE LORD.....and my husband, and my boss. But, I don’t always do so without complaining or a celebrity attitude.

‘Celebrity Apprentice’ reminded me what it looks like to serve. It showed me that I need to humble myself as I serve others. I shouldn’t whip out a ‘get out of jail free’ card or believe I am too good for a particular job, no matter how mundane or inconvenient it may be. I will admit, though, its not always easy for me. As I reflect on the events of the ‘Last Supper,’ I realize that one reason its not easy is because I have the wrong perspective. I focus on the immediate job and getting it done, but not on anything beyond that.

Do you remember how Jesus washed the disciples feet? He did it willingly and lovingly. If anyone had the right to be honorably discharged from a duty, it was Jesus! He was God! Jesus did not complain about performing this menial service, in fact, He volunteered to do it! Why? Because He had God’s perspective in view. Seeing an act of service from God’s perspective, is to see beyond the moment and into eternity.

Taking on a servant role, while being a king, was the example of how all of us should serve God. Jesus was preparing His disciples for the future work He had for them. Without the right perspective of who they were, relative to who God was, they would not make an eternal impact in the lives of others. God’s perspective in Jesus’ life also led Him to be crucified. Jesus prayed that He not have to go to the cross, all the while humbling Himself to the Father’s will. God knew that Jesus had to die and be risen in order for mankind to be restored to a right relationship with Him. That particular act was much bigger than the temporary pain of His present; a resonating impact for eternity! For us, our status as being children of a king affords us no celebrity status or release from serving others. What is does afford us, though, is this...lots of great opportunities to impact lives for eternity!
Be blessed
Jeanine Black
©Jeanine Black 2009

No comments: