Monday, March 30, 2009

The Feather

Looking onto the lake, that summer morning, I noticed a small downy feather floating on the water. Having a supple spine, allowed it to form a cup-like shape. Its whiteness was unmarred and its tiny veins were perfectly aligned, preventing water from seeping in. Wispy pieces at the quill end, looked to be the softest fibers on earth as they fluttered in the gentle breeze. Floating so peacefully, with no apparent destination, the feather was gently rocked by the ripples on the water. I imagined myself lying within it’s silken body, protected from the breeze and the cool water. The sun warmed my skin, and the gentle undulations from the ripples soothed me like a mothers rhythmic rocking. I watched a butterfly flutter silently by and listed to the call of a whippoorwill, wondering if its mate would answer. The sky overhead was a cloudless deep aqua. It seemed so vast, as it stretched from one side of the lake to the other. As I laid in the feather cocoon, the sereneness of nature seeped into my senses. It was as if nothing else existed. I closed my eyes, completely satisfied, and drifted off to sleep.

When I awoke, I realized that I was in my lounge chair curled in a fetal position. Remembering the tiny feather, I sat up in anticipation of seeing it still adrift. But I was met with disappointment. Resting back against my chair I looked at the lake again. Water bugs skipped across the top of the water and the rich scent of pine filled my nostrils. The flowers growing in a nearby bed, seemed more brilliantly colored than before. Even the grass seemed greener. A smile spread across my face, and a warmth filled me, as I thanked the Lord for the beauty of His creation. How often do we overlook God’s handiwork in our everyday comings and goings? Do we take the time to be quiet... to really see and really hear?

As I began to gather my belongings and head for the house, I caught something out of the corner of my eye. I turned and saw the beautiful feather lingering at the edge of the lake. I stood there surprised for a moment, before scooping it out of the water. I cupped it my hand and lightly ran my finger along its edge. I realized that God holds us in His cupped hands too. He protects us from the waters and winds that come our way. He also comforts us like a loving mother and gives us a peace to lie down and rest.

The feather now lays inside a clear glass bottle on my kitchen windowsill. In the mornings, the sun shines in and catches it in its rays. Seeing it, reminds me of my heavenly Father. His strong hands, his embracing arms and His desire for me to "be still, and know that He is God."
Be blessed-
Jeanine Black

No comments: